Sweat It All Out!
Benefits of the Sauna
There is a valid reason why human beings have used sweat baths for hygienic and health purposes since the Stone Age. It's because sweating has proven its effectiveness in flushing out toxins and disease and maintaining optimal physical as well as mental health.
Most cultures around the world have their own versions of the sweat bath, whether it's the ancient Romans and their "Thermae" or the traditional Japanese "Onsen". The Russians call it the "Banya" and the for native North American Indians it's "Inipi", without omitting the notorious Turkish bath or "Hamam". However, the most prominent and popular one of all is the Finnish Sauna.
The skin is the largest organ in the body and through the pores it plays a major role in the detoxifying process alongside the lungs, kidneys, bowels, liver and the lymphatic and immune systems. The skin produces cool sweat to regulate the body's elevated temperature. It also has the ability to transform toxins from lipid-soluble or oil-based, into -easier to eliminate- water-soluble forms. Sweat carries toxins out of the body and flushes them through the pores.
Sweating is the body's safe and natural way to heal. Scientists and doctors are finally acknowledging what our ancestors instinctively knew, that regular sweating restores good health through the elimination of toxins.
Benefits of the SaunaOur modern lifestyle makes most people's skin inactive. Many of us don't sweat, especially during the winter months. Modern synthetic fibres or tight clothing that doesn't allow the skin to breathe, can damage the skin and our natural ability for elimination, as does excessive prolonged sun exposure. A sedentary lifestyle also disactivates the skin.
Our skin is exposed to hundreds of chemicals during the course of our life, and is affected by them. From innocent bath products such as shampoos, shower gels, lotions and soaps to deodorants. Household cleaning solvents, detergent residues on clothes and chemicals from the bath or shower water also affect the skin.
Regular use of the sauna gradually restores the skin's elimination ability. Sweating removes toxic chemicals and metals faster than other detox method. It is a good habit that pays many health dividends.
The sauna's benefits are numerous. It's main one being the fact that it promotes sweating, helping the body to rid itself of toxins. It is also believed that exposure of the skin to heat stimulates the production of white blood cells and strengthens the immune system.
Other benefits of the sauna include:
- Improved blood circulation: The sauna increases and improves the rate of blood circulation and breathing.
- Weight loss: Sauna is similar to mild exercise, it burns about 300 calories per average session. Regular sauna treatments combined with a healthy diet and moderate exercise will help you lose weight and stay fit and healthy.
- Skin cleansing: A profuse sauna-induced sweat followed by a shower cleanses your skin far more thoroughly than just taking a shower. It makes it soft and healthy with immediately noticeable effects.
- Body relaxation: Stress build-up creates tension in the body manifesting in various aches and pains. The heat and humidity of the sauna diffuses the pain and relaxes tired muscles. A sauna in the evening will leave tense muscles and sore limbs totally relaxed. Sauna also temporarily relieves arthritic pain.
- Mind relaxation: The sauna is essentially a place to relax. Regular sauna adepts all agree that it effectively helps relieve physical and mental fatigue and stress.
The sauna enhances circulation and oxygenates the cells, tissues and organs. It increases the body's ability to produce energy, which promotes healing. Heating the tissues also speeds up the metabolism. Your cells are gradually capable of eliminating toxins much more effectively.
Isn't time to indulge?
PS: Accumulated toxins age the body because they prevent cells from regenerating efficiently. Louis Kuhne, an early pioneer of hydrotherapy (19th century), particularly recommends combining the sauna experience with the Detox Bath for a highly effective daily detox.History of bathing
Stress, anxiety, anger and all negative emotions release toxins in the body. More
"A great life is born in the soul, grown in the mind and lived from the heart."